Tuesday, January 20, 2009

turning off the ol' brain space

Yesterday my mom surprised me with pink pepper spray. Not in the eye, but packaged for my use "because Market Street can be scary". I insisted that Market St, where I work during the day, is not scary because (a) if you leave the crazies alone chances are they'll leave you alone, and (b) it's highly patrolled by armed policemen. To this her response was, "Well you never know. Just take it anyways and keep it in your purse." Kind of stoked from receiving a pink pepper spray device and perplexed by my mom's fear of the city, I decided to examine the directions to figure out how to use the darn thing. I'm just hoping this "gift" which is supposed to protect me from danger will turn around and bite me in the butt. And by this I mean I fear I will spray my own eyes out.

Lately I've been feeling pretty restless, as if I just can't turn off the brain space. I own too many things which equates to cluttered space. Cluttered brain space. Perhaps a move is necessary. I live too far away from everything anyways. The SF boonies, save the close proximity to the beach, are not keeping my interest. I need to be closer to work, closer to friends, closer to...people. I love big cities. I thrive off them. I get my fill at work downtown, but I need more. Where's the local coffee shop? No clue. Where's a good restaurant? No clue. Where's a delicious bakery? No clue. See where I'm going with this?

Then I think, perhaps all I need is a good clearing out of things, just things. I have some weird bond with these things. I buy something, it keeps my interest for a while, then I sell it and buy something new. I haven't been good with my budget since I've moved to San Francisco and the 1st of February is as good a time as any to start watching that coin purse. What I need is a task master. No, I'm not talking about one of those people you can find in the personals ads on Craigslist. I could use someone to just sit there, beer in hand, and ask me questions like "When was the last time you used that?" and "When would you ever use that?," and tell me things like "You really don't need that" and "Honey, you need to put that down!" Guess I was chanelling my roommate Ian on that last one. He's a pro at helping me get rid of things. Perhaps I'll exchange my clutter project with his Vangina project. He's moving out next month and will be living in his 1970s van so charmingly named and labeled "Vangina" by its previous owner. What can I say, the name is just too fun to use in everyday conversation.

So on to a plan of action. I'll sell clothes I haven't worn in a couple months, organize my shoes, get rid of items I haven't used in a few months, sell some things on craigslist, and get rid of the piles of unwanted junk accumulating in the garage. Easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment