Thursday, January 15, 2009

sugar paste

I have recently learned about sugar paste, pastillage and fondant, which are used in decorating cakes. It makes them look really fancy, like this:

Intrigued, I picked up some books at the library and have since decided to embark upon a new frontier, that of cake decorating. Though the designs look intricate and too difficult for a beginning cake artist like myself, I hear from Meghan that it's pretty easy to use and I'll take all the encouragement I can get. Actually, I'm super excited and not really worried about how it will turn out because I have something called a good feeling about this.

As there are many tools I'll need to dive into this new-found hobby of mine, I've created a list of things to buy (or receive as gifts, hint hint) and places to buy them.

Items:
rolling pin
non-stick mat
circular cutters set
Kitchenaid tabletop mixer
specialty cutters (petals & leaves

Places:
Cookin'
   415.861.1854
   339 Divisadero x Oak
   Tue-Sat 12p-6:30 Sun 1-5
Cooks Boulevard
   415.647.2665
   1309 Castro x 24th
   Mon-Fri 11-7 Sat 10-7 Sun 10-6

No comments:

Post a Comment