Sunday, November 8, 2009

On Friday I ran over an old lady with my bike.

Let me start from the beginning. I don't like to wear helmets because they make me feel like I'm choking and mess up my hair. So, despite an overwhelming feeling that something bad was going to happen to me on my bike, I rode to my internship on Friday morning without a helmet. Got there and all day I barely had enough time to breathe I was so busy. Headed for home after training, and luckily it wasn't raining anymore. Ok so I'm biking up Market, just a few blocks away from my internship, when I pass through a yellow light. Right as I'm approaching the cross walk, an elderly lady steps into the street and begins walking into the cross walk - without looking! There's no time for me to brake or veer out of her way, so I hit her. I hit an old lady.

She falls to the ground and I off my bike. I spring to my feet, unaware of what happened to me, to check on the lady. Get her onto the sidewalk and unfortunately she doesn't speak any English. I try using universal gestures to see how she fared in the accident, but to no avail. Eventually she gestures for me to leave. I hop on my bike only to find my chain has fallen off. After my failed attempt to put it back on, the amazing group of Latino men that came to our rescue put it on for me (which is followed by an offer to wipe off my grease-covered hands onto one of the guy's jackets).

Bike banged up, Ally banged up, I head back home. Once I take off my long sleeve shirt, I realize that I had skinned my elbow. Not too badly, as I've seen my brothers do worse to themselves, but still bad for how much of a daredevil I'm not. To add to the list is a bruised hip, a bruised side, bruised knee, sore shoulders, bruised elbow, and yes, you guessed it, a sore spot on the ol' noggin. Should have worn that helmet after all. From this accident I've taken two lessons: buy a helmet I don't mind wearing and don't try to race the light. It's just not worth it.


On a more positive note, I've been focusing on cooking lately, and healthy meals at that. Here's a sample of some food I've made this past week.




Ok, so the cookies don't exactly count as healthy.


Tofu scramble with mushrooms, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and red bell peppers

1 comment:

  1. ALLY! I had to read about this on a blog??? The pic makes me sad.

    You are a funny story teller. What an event that adds insult to injury. The old lady shouldn't have been walking across and then to gesture to you to leave the situation. Anyhoo, as long as that's the worst of it and you didn't wipe your hands on the jacket of one of your bike repairmen lol, all is well.

    Your food looks delicious. Yummy. Who's cooking Sat night?

    ReplyDelete