Sunday, August 30, 2009

cocktail time!

I'm trying to bring crafty back into my life, and oh how I've missed it. My sewing skills are sub-par, so in an attempt to refine these skills I made fancy.free cocktail coasters for Jenna's birthday. Sandra Lee would be so proud of me. "Cocktail tiiime! Yummy!"

Makes: 8 cocktail coasters

Material:
● scissors
● 2 1/4 yds fabric
● iron & ironing board
● sewing machine, or needle & thread


Step One: Cut sixteen 5" x 5" squares and iron each.


Margot wanted to help. While utterly adorable, she's nothing but a nuisance.


Step Two: Place two squares together with the correct sides facing inward. Sew around the perimeter of the square, leaving a 1/2" seam. Leave center 2" of one side unsewn.


Step Three: Trim off corners and 1/4" on all sides. Turn fabric inside-out, making sure to make the corners as square (unrounded) as possible.


Step Four: Iron coasters flat.


Step Five: Sew design around border for decoration and to close opening. If no decoration is desired, simply sew a straight line across opening. A design is less distracting and makes it appear as though there is no seam...and let's face it, it's just cuter.


Step Six: Enjoy with desired cocktail and hors d'oeuvres. To make cocktail napkins, which is what I was attempting to do until I made these too small to be napkins, start off with larger squares of fabric. 6" or 7" squares would be appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment