Saturday, May 2, 2009

I love the delivery man

As I was trying to be productive this morning (and by this I mean folding laundry so I wouldn't have to start writing my paper) the doorbell rang. And then some knocks. And then it rang again. Going downstairs to answer it I saw the person was still there. Good. Sometimes they leave or it's one of the neighbor's friends ringing the incorrect bell (thank you TICs). What do I find when I open the door? The delivery man holding a box, and on that box had a picture of a dress form. Not just any dress form, mind you, but MY dress form. It took me a few seconds to realize the message my eyes were sending my brain. I shouted out "YES!!" in emphatic excitement, after which we both started laughing. He said "I wish all my customers were like you. I've got two more packages, hold on." Sweet music to my ears. That could only mean one thing: my sewing machines have arrived as well!!! Sure enough, up the front steps he came carrying the two machines I purchased from the JoAnn Fabrics website.


Notice how they have a Martha Stewart stamp of approval? ;) I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Why the hell did she buy two sewing machines?" Well set your mind at ease because no, they are not both for me. I purchased one for my mom for the following reasons:

1. My mom's been going through a lot lately, and has gone through a lot in the past, and I want to show my appreciation for all she's done for me.
2. My mom is the best mom in the universe, and for all that I've gone through, I consider her to be a significant factor in why I came out relatively sane.
3. I started working when I was 13 years old and saved money to live comfortably and buy things when I want them.
4. My mom's machine is a sporadically-working pile of shit. I recall using it and wasting about 50% of my time ripping out the stitches, re-threading the needle, and crying in frustration. One of those is untrue, partially.
5. My mom fucking rules.

I can't wait until I get to play with these new toys of mine! The timing is rather poor for my easily distracted heart for it's nearing the end of the semester and I have 5 papers to write, and most of them are about 10 pages long. Basically, I've got to stop writing in the blog and start writing in the Word. Now to revisit my paper on sex trafficking...

3 comments:

  1. Aha! How exciting! You should come over sometime and check out the old style Singer I discovered works! My roommate didn't know it worked until we busted it out and checked just recently.
    Sewing- yes!
    I have ideas.... Need basic patterns first, as I have not sewn since high school.
    Ugh. Finish this semester already so we can hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once this semester is over, we're going to get together for X-Files marathons and sewing adventures. I haven't sewn for a while as well so we'll be learning together. I can't wait to see what that dress I "helped" you with will look like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother in law (as shared at his wedding) said that he wanted to be a mailman when he was little because he wanted to make people happy everyday :)

    Can't wait to see what your new machine and creative ideas produce.

    ReplyDelete