Sunday, September 20, 2009

an early happy birthday to you, my dear

A good deal of my friends have been moving out of the area. First there was Andrea, then Amanda, and now Aurora. Makes me wonder who else with an "A" name will be calling to tell me of their plans to relocate. Next I predict it will be Ashley to Texas.

A couple Fridays ago my friend Aurora had a temporary-goodbye & 22nd birthday party with a few friends she had become close to during her three month stint in San Francisco. All were dressed like cupcakes, and the night lead into a rather lengthy game of Never Have I Ever and comical Spin the Bottle. Back to Dartmouth in New Hampshire she goes to finish off her undergraduate work. Looking forward to her move back here next summer. Miss you, lady.

After two rather unsuccessful attempts to simultaneously diminish my large supply of grapefruits and make vegan grapefruit cupcakes, I ventured on to a dessert that would guarantee me success: vegan chocolate cake. Adding some of my homemade strawberry-raspberry jam, fresh raspberries, and frosting in between two layers of vegan chocolate cake, I created a layer cake instead. Unfortunately due to the cake being vegan, it was too moist and, subsequently, the top layer broke in two before arriving to the party. Though the general look of the cake was not up to par with my abilities, it did not, however, defile the taste. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the cake, including the guest of honor. Someone even said it was the best cake they had ever had! Success.

Note to self: buy cake carrying tray. This one I bought at the dollar store is a non-latching pile of crap.




The cake was for the going away part of the shindig, but I wanted to make something for Aurora's birthday. I searched on Craft Gossip for ideas, and found a cute owl stuffed animal to make from the celebration shoppe. Mine turned out a bit different than how it was supposed to look as I made several mistakes while putting the pieces together. I like the way theirs looks a bit better, but that mostly has to do with the color selections. All in all, I am happy with the result only for the fact that Aurora loves it to pieces...and for my first bow, it turned out pretty darn well. I believe she ended up naming it Tiptree.




2 comments:

  1. girl i love your martha ways. you are so good at decorating cakes! i'm making my sister's wedding cake... tee hee.. i mean, uh oh. :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss you too, lady! god that cake was amazzzzzing... or maybe more like amaziiiiing. and i do love tiptree to (metaphorical) tatters. today i actually went to a "coptic binding" book arts workshop to make you something, but i left like an hour in on the verge of tears. that shit is SO frustrating! i have all the more admiration for your craftiness. by the way your loft looks super rad [:

    ReplyDelete